Opioid use is a growing epidemic across the country. In Minnesota, specifically Native American communities, have been hard hit with over doses and more frequently over dose fatalities. In the 55404-zip code, we have had the over 65,000 syringe exchanges, the highest number of any zip code in Minnesota. Funded by the Minnesota Department of Health, the Indigenous Peoples Task Force’s Syringe Services Program was intended to slow the transmission of HIV/AIDS (and hepatitis C) among PWID (People Who Inject Drugs) by providing clients with new and sterile supplies for injection, educating members of this target population on Harm reduction methods that could protect their health and the health of the community overall. Moreover, our syringe Exchange staff use every interaction with our clients to provide counseling while simultaneously emphasizing the importance of substance abuse treatment and providing said referrals. IPTF’s syringe services program features four components: HIV testing/education, HCV testing/education, Condom distribution and Narcan distribution. With over 300 clients in our first year of operation IPTF staff can already see the effects of this program in the community we serve and are hopeful to continue to see this trend.
Syringe exchange hours
1 – 4 PM, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
We are part of a coalition of organizations providing syringe exchange services throughout Minnesota.
Click here for a calendar of other community agencies providing Harm Reduction supplies.
What to expect?
- The client will be met at the front door to our office.
- A staff member will ask what is your desired syringe size.
- The staff member will then go inside and prepare a package of sterile supplies includ a a week’s supply of syringes (50 needles). They will bring the bag outside for the client to pick up.
Sterile Equipment available:
- McKesson Syringes:
Gauge syringe (both .5cc and 1cc)
- 28 Gauge syringe (both .5cc and 1cc)
- 29 Gauge syringe (both .5cc and 1cc)
- 31 Gauge syringe (both .5cc and 1cc)
- Alcohol Wipes
- Antibiotic Ointment
- Sterile Water
- Condoms (Male/Female condoms, Flavored condoms, Finger cots and Dental Dams)
- Naloxone (Narcan Kits) [the overdose reversing drug!]
- 27 Gauge syringe (both .5cc and 1cc)